Put on your walking shoes and prepare to explore the new Maroochydore City Centre when it opens to the public for the first time with a FREE People’s Day on Saturday 10 August.
Be among the first to pound the pavement to celebrate and engage with the new city centre with a free program of events, education and entertainment across the day and into the evening.
The fun begins at 11am when the ribbon is cut and visitors of all ages are ushered in to walk, cycle, skate and scooter the first section of the new Maroochydore City Centre, with all streets closed to vehicles.
The family-friendly daytime program includes:
• Virtual Reality (VR) tours of the future city
• LEGO city-building construction site
• Maroochydore City Centre Discovery Challenge orienteering activity
• Keys to the City art installation and craft station
• Your City. Your Story. artwork and storytelling installation
• Demonstrations and interactive displays of Maroochydore City Centre’s smart technology and infrastructure
• Food and beverage stalls and coffee vendors will also be on site
As the sun sets, People’s Day presents a free evening performance spotlighting local talent from 6pm.
Roll out the picnic rug, graze on a BYO dinner and be entertained by talented local performers celebrating Maroochydore’s past, present and future through music, dance, storytelling, visual art and projections.
Starting with a traditional Welcome to Country by Kabi Kabi representatives, the evening performance includesGubbi Gubbi dance troupe, cellist Louise King, dancer Soraya Fewquandie-Scott and vocalists Lindsay Pollak, Lizzie O’Keefe, Andrea Kirwin, Shannon Sol Carol.
The two-hour celebration ends with a performance by Elixir, a folk-jazz ensemble with Katie Noonan and saxophonist Zac Hurren.
Maroochydore City Centre People’s Day is a free, all-ages, non-ticketed event on Saturday 10 August from 11am until 8.30pm.
All roads are closed to vehicles with pedestrian access via First Avenue at Aerodrome Road.
Maroochydore City Centre Project People’s Day
10 August 2019
Maroochydore City Centre, Maroochydore